Re: Bilingual captions conformance

Here is a response from a key player at the Canadian Association for the
Deaf. It appears to validate Loretta's position of not encouraging
captioning that involves any translation... Of course there are probably a
variety of opinions but this is an important one. It sounds like it's not a
great idea to mix translation and transcription in the same file.

For the two file approach I was suggesting on the call is probably risky if
encouraged too enthusiastically ... If the translation is poor then the
person who is deaf is stuck with two different language files, neither of
which is very good. But if there truly *were *professional translators, it
would be an acceptable approach to captioning but it's a big "if" and
pretty risky. Here's our interaction.

====
CAD representative:
“Captioning is a transcription, not a translation.”  Captions have to say
what is said on-screen, and that means that if Harper suddenly says
“Bonjour, mes amis” in the middle of an otherwise all-English speech on the
video, then the captions have to say *“Bonjour, mes amis”* and not
translate it into “Hello, my friends”.

David responds:
So would you say it would be a failure of proper captioning practice if a
bilingual video (only one audio track where Prime Minister speaks back and
forth between English and French), is on Youtube, and had an English
Caption file and a French caption file, whereas, each caption file had half
translation and half transcription, with translation provided by
professional translators?

Response:

It’s a tough call, David.  The translation would have to be done by
professional translators, and then you would need to get the captions done
separately, so you could be running into time and money problems.  When
faced with those problems, most producers are going to opt for the fastest
and cheapest options, which is to let the translation be done by that
intern who went to immersion French primary school 15 years ago.  Then you
get angry complaints from viewers whose first language is the intern’s
second language because he did a sucky job of it, and you get complaints
from caption viewers that the French captioning sucks (because it’s
transcribing the spoken translation that sucks).

I’d trust your gut feeling if I were you, and then learn from whatever
feedback you get.

I'm waiting on another opinion but the key person is on vacation.

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902