RE: Does placeholder text pass 3.3.2, does disappearing text pass?

Ø  Some say that since the label disappears on input that the author is
"hiding" the label, and it is a failure of SC 3.3.2.

I would consider this a failure.  I am in favor of the forms where once a
field contains non-placeholder text a label appears above the field– this
would then meet the SC.  On a related note, many browser placeholder
implementations tend to also fail contrast requirements.

In the H65 example there is also a button that labels example #3’s search
field – so we are not promoting a technique that only uses the title.  The
test steps however, don’t also require a visual label – this is likely
because this technique is mapped to 1.3.1 and 1.1.1.  So in my opinion we
should remove the linkage to SC 3.3.2 from this technique as title
attributes are not keyboard accessible.

In addition, controls and input are listed as exceptions to 1.1.1 – so I’m
not sure why SC 1.1.1 is mapped to H65 either.

Jonathan