RE: WCAG-ISSUE-23 (DavidMacD): We should consider a new "Failure to provide role=presentation on a layout table"

Hi Loretta

It is as I say " ... my understanding of the WCAG historical decision process for a Failure technique." I'd be glad for you, Michael, Gregg, Wendy, Cynthia, and Ben to chime in... it might be an important piece of corporate history.

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 07:10:45 -0700
From: lorettaguarino@google.com
To: david100@sympatico.ca
CC: allen.hoffman@hq.dhs.gov; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org; faulkner.steve@gmail.com; w.fiers@accessibility.nl; acampbell@nomensa.com; lwatson@paciellogroup.com
Subject: Re: WCAG-ISSUE-23 (DavidMacD): We should consider a new "Failure to  provide role=presentation on a layout table"

David, where did this list come from? I can't say that it perfectly matches my recollection (not that my memory is infallible).

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:41 AM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>The
 question I have from reading the informal list of criteria is where is
the simple criteria that it actually is a failure of the specific
guideline?
The name of the proposed failure is "Failure of SC 1.3.1. ..."

Although I'd love to take credit for the list, for better or worse, it is my understanding of the WCAG historical decision process for a Failure technique. For testability each failure has a test procedure. We've worked hard to make every test procedure clear and understandable even though most cannot be automated. There is a fair amount of documentation about what WCAG means by testable. The new Evaluation Methodology attempts to bring greater clarity to the weird and wonderful world of conformance, we're always looking for contributors.

Cheers,

David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn

www.Can-Adapt.com

  Adapting the web to all users

Including those with disabilities
If you are not the intended recipient, please review our  privacy policy

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Hoffman, Allen <allen.hoffman@hq.dhs.gov> wrote:

This is just me speaking, but to me we need simple, clear and unambiguous objectives for creation of, review of, and
 distribution of things like failure conditions.
I am not intending to be critical of your list David, but they don’t seem to fit that description well to me.
Maybe I’m not reading and processing well this morning, if so forgive my slowness this time.
The question I have from reading the informal list of criteria is where is the simple criteria that it actually is a failure of the specific guideline?
In my opinion that should be the absolute and overriding criterion.
Whether some nebulous group feels this is a problem or not, or if current “today at time of writing” AT product implemented access solution to use correctly coded information, should not be a criteria for creating a failure condition.
I thing I do understand accessibility supported, and you can easily fail to meet success criteria if you use techniques which simply are not accessibility supported in the sense that no AT can get to the information, in more than a custom configuration,
 but for something as forceful as “this is a failure to meet success criteria”, we need clear rationale for failing beyond product specificity or “feeling” that a problem exists.
This stuff is important for the people involved in development, testing, and acceptance, and any and all ambiguity creates confusion, multi-interpretations, and at the end of the day detracts from consistently making forward progress across the board
 so people with disabilities have increased access.

I know I’m always on this same topic, but it is very important to me and I work on this every day.
I know ambiguity creates problems for folks, slows the wheels of progress, and at the end of the day can greatly
dealy accessibility for end-users with disabilities.

I love sufficient techniques and failures, but want to ensure we create them clearly without ambiguity or unneeded complexity.
I don’t even know what my opinion on this specific failure idea is yet but the discussion seems to be straying in to that area of which AT might or might not implement support for correctly coded content, and to me as long as it is coded and AT can use
 it, it can’t be a failure period.  I don’t care if JAWS, windows eyes, or NVDA, or HAL supports a coding solution, if
its there they should support it, and most likely will in the short term at their schedule and per their customer request.
Could be nobody cares and they won’t implement support for it—one AT vendor I won’t name held out on Java
AccessBridge support for years.