*From:* Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Monday, June 02, 2014 8:49 AM
*To:* Jonathan Avila
*Cc:* Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group
*Subject:* Re: WCAG-ISSUE-23 (DavidMacD): We should consider a new "Failure
to provide role=presentation on a layout table"

On 2 June 2014 13:41, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:

What I was attempting to say is that according to my understanding of WCAG
2 – some use of TH, td with scope, or ids and headers are required for any
table not used for layout purposes.

some techniques may recommend this, but is/should not be a requirement,
there are cases where such markup is not required.

there is an example in the HTML spec: refer to example under "Here is an
example of a table being used to mark up a Sudoku puzzle. Observe the lack
of headers, which are not necessary in such a table."
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/tabular-data.html#tabular-data

--

Regards

SteveF