Re: contrast for images of text

If I understand you correctly, the programmatic determination (role, alt,
etc.) would satisfy 1.4.1. I am not sure of that. Since 1.4.1 is intended
among others for visually impaired users, then appropriate markup might not
be sufficient. Perhaps a visual cue is needed to augment the use of color,
as implied by the techniques for 1.4.1