RE: Complex table with headings (h3, h4 etc.) to group data rows

Dear Andrew and WCAG-WG,

I believe I failed to draw your attention to a critical  point with respect to the two tables on the  sample page [1]:
Both tables the first one that uses headers-id method and the second that uses the h3 method have a summary attribute that explains the table’s structure for a VI user who depends on AT.
Seldom will a blind user navigate the table blindly (<grin>!) without attempting to first comprehend the table’s structure. So he is not likely to hit JAWS+T on every cell as he goes through the table.
Secondly, this is more of a remediation technique when for one reason or another there is reluctance to use the headers-id method.
Surely when a page and the data tables on it are designed  with accessibility markup from the ground up, it may not be difficult to build headers-id markup and one might get some support from their authoring tools / frameworks etc. But often during remediation work this may not be possible given time and resource constraints and fear that it will break something else.
The draft technique never suggested this as a   replacement  for the headers-id method.

Hopefully incorporating  two  points might provide the level of comfort you are seeking:
i. the summary attribute  that explains the table’s structure should draw user’s attention to use of headings to group data rows
ii. this is suggested as a remediation technique in situations where headers-id method cannot be employed.
(The ‘legacy’ design / content was used as a justification for an ARIA technique recently).

Surely all complex tables can be broken into simpler tables but that is seldom possible in real life.
And as a user, I’d rather have a complex table with the alternative markup that makes it accessible than no accessibility markup on grounds of undue burden.

Thanks for your time and pardon my persistence.

Regards,
Sailesh
[1] http://mars.dequecloud.com/demo/Census_2013.htm