Re: SUGGESTIONS ON LABELLEDBY

Sailesh,
There are times when the author of the web application has no idea what
scripting may be running on the application when it is deployed by the
customer. Any change to the DOM hierarchy adds extra risk. This extra
risk may make the change infeasible due to the added cost of regression
testing the change. Adding a simple attribute to an element does not
present the same risk so may well be preferred in these situations.
When starting with a clean slate of course using an HTML heading (h1-h6)
is preferred - but we are not always starting with a clean slate. WCAG
should allow us to meet the guideline so long as the solution is
accessibility supported.

Regards,
James