[html-techs-tf] Minutes for Thursday May 23rd HTML5 & ARIA techniques for WCAG TF.

Please find the minutes at
http://www.w3.org/2013/05/23-html-techs-tf-minutes.html or in text below

Thanks to Adam for scribing

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                   HTML5 and ARIA Techniques Task Force

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2013/05/23-html-techs-tf-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Paul_Adam, +1.212.924.aaaa, [Google], James_Nurthen,
           Robin_Tuttle, Jon_Gunderson, Adam_Solomon

    Regrets
           Detlev

    Chair
           James_Nurthen

    Scribe
           adam_solomon

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]aria live regions
      * [5]Summary of Action Items

    <pauljadam> I need to reconnect to the call

    <Loretta> hello?

    <jamesn>
    [6]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130502tfaria2/results
    #xalertdia

       [6] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130502tfaria2/results#xalertdia

    ok

    <Loretta> F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to
    failing to mark up decorative images in HTML in a way that
    allows assitive technology to ignore them

    adam just called in

    <jongund> F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 to markup
    decorative images and applets to be ignored by assistive
    technology

    <jongund> Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 to markup
    decorative markup (i.e. images and applets) to be ignored by
    assistive technology

    <jongund> Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 to markup
    decorative content (i.e. images and applets) to be ignored by
    assistive technology

    <jongund> F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 to markup
    decorative content (e.g. decorative images and applets) to be
    ignored by assistive technology

    <jongund> F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 to markup
    decorative content (e.g. decorative images and applets) in a
    way to be ignored by assistive technology

    adam: needs "in a way" to be in title

    james: only applies to html (not pdf)

    <jamesn> F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to not
    marking up decorative images in HTML in a way that allows
    assitive technology to ignore them

    <pauljadam> Failure of SC 1.1.1 due to omitting
    role=presentation or alt="" on purely decorative images or
    applets in HTML

    james: would have to retitle if tech changes
    ... aria-hidden?

    <pauljadam> Failure of SC 1.1.1 due to omitting a presentation
    attribute on purely decorative images or applets in HTML

    james: better to have more generic title (wothout mentioning
    specific markup)

    adam: in any event if aria-hidden passes then test needs to be
    changed

    <jamesn> F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to not
    marking up decorative images or applets in HTML in a way that
    allows assitive technology to ignore them

    paul: long but clear

    no objections to james last offer

    james: putting in note that we need to investigate relevance of
    aria-hidden for this failure

    jon: would aria-label empty be equivalent to empty alt?

    <jamesn>
    [7]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130502tfaria2/results
    #xlabel

       [7] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20130502tfaria2/results#xlabel

aria live regions

    paul: if using describedby, do we need aria-live?
    ... what if you have only one error container and 4 inputs?

    jon: separate message for each input is appropriate

    james, paul: title needs to be more specific to error messages

    <jamesn>
    [8]http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_aria-alertdialog

       [8] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_aria-alertdialog

    james: combine this with the above link?

    pau;: should no tbe combined - different kinds of
    implementations

    james: role=alert equivalent to assertive

    <jamesn> Using ARIA Live Regions or role=alert to Identify
    Errors

    james: jon can modify example

    paul: concern over aria-describedby used here
    ... will add example for role alert
    ... should example include other aria attributes?

    james: ok

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]