RE: some comments/questions on techniques instructions document for submitters

Denis Boudreau wrote:
"While I agree with Detlev on some level, I do not believe we can be thorough and confident to cover all the related techniques and failures associated to a specific success criterion while auditing if we do not go down to that atomic level. "

	Unless an assessment goes down to that atomic level, I believe it's vulnerable to inconsistency. High level evaluations have a wide margin for interpretation. The methodology must be possible to (easily) apply consistently.

Denis Boudreau wrote:
"It may look like a lot of tests at first, but it turns out that it's not so bad because we never audit every page on a website, but rather pick a set of representative pages based on various templates. So in the worst cases, we rarely end up with more than 12 pages to audit."

	We do something very similar. We manually evaluate the representative sample of pages using the atomic tests, then run higher level automated tests across the whole of the website (or at least a thousand pages). We then follow up with a more heuristic evaluation using different access technologies.

Denis Boudreau wrote:
"For us at least, web accessibility auditing is always at least a two-phase process: a first assessment of what's out there and another one, after the recommendations have been put in place, to see how well the developers did. And so we also came to realize that the best way to ensure people would fix all pages and not only the ones that were audited was simply to retain, on the second round of evaluation, about 60% of the pages that were first audited and then go pick a few new ones just to see if they measure up with the ones that were fixed."

	Again, this is remarkably similar to our process. We don't usually take the approach of selecting a few new pages when it comes to the retest, but it's a brilliant idea!

Denis Boudreau wrote:
"All in all, we usually plan about two hours per page audited, screen reader testing included. We feel an audit cannot be considered complete without combining both those checklists and user testing. So a 10 page evaluation would require anywhere between say, 15 to 20 hours of work per round. I'm very curious/interested to compare these numbers with what you folks currently do."

	We tend to work in days rather than hours, but our estimates come  out about the same in the end I think. The biggest challenge for us is writing up the results into a meaningful report. Finding the balance between informative and information overload is often quite troublesome.

Léonie.