Re: 2.4.3, 1.3.2

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Detlev Fischer <fischer@dias.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> sorry to enter this discussion at such a late stage.
>
> I think that all examples in all techniques implicitly encourage design
> patterns. They are read as 'best practice'. Clearly, this layout should have
> been created using CSS, not with a layout table 'repaired' with tabindex.

While we particularly want to document best practice techniques, we often
include examples or techniques that are not necessarily best practice, but
are still sufficient to meet the success criterion. This is to help people
understand the meaning of the success criterion. It is better to cast some
light on the grey areas.

> That's why I feel uneasy about having such an example in a sufficient, even
> in an advisory, technique. The use of layout tables is actively discouraged
> elsewhere in WCAG (I believe).  While their use does not violate any SC when
> the linear reading order is meaningful, I personally think the bride and
> groom example is possibly in violation of SC 1.3.2. In any case, the example
> is not 'best practice'. It actively introduces a problem that the use of
> tabindex in H4 is then supposed to repair.

I don't understand why you think the bride and groom example is not a data
table.  Or why you think it might violate SC 1.3.2.

> On another note, I think it is highly relevant to cover the rather frequent
> use of scripted tabindex for managing the focus order in lightboxes used as
> modal dialogues. While there are many a11y issues with lightboxes, they are
> everywhere and unlikely to go away. In our testing experience, they
> frequently introduce grave problems for keyboard users since authors fail to
> manage focus order properly (and fail to move focus back to the trigger when
> the lightbox is closed).
>
> What's there in the techniques to deal with lightboxes? SCR21 and SCR26
> deal with insertions that are meaningful content in the normal reading
> order. This leaves us with SCR37; but unlike the sorting example in SCR37,
> modal lightboxes often are not a meaningful part of pages' reading order:
> that's why they are generated and removed on the fly, meaning that SC 1.3.2
> would be OK on the default page.

By no means do we have an exhaustive set of scripting techniques. Additional
submissions would be very welcome.

One challenge we have had in the past is that most working scripting
examples are complex and potentially cover a large set of success criteria.
We have wrestled with how to include such examples most effectively within
the WCAG framework.