RE: F68 forbids WAI ARIA to replace label element

Hi,

At 20:20 29-6-2011, David MacDonald wrote:
>Perhaps that's a good point, I'm wondering which manufacturers are not
>getting on WAI ARIA. I think our unofficial rule of thumb is about 3
>versions back...
>
>Almost every screen reader supports WAI ARIA, although some better than
>others, and the new browsers do... which are free.

"Some better than others", indeed.
Marco Zehe's "WAI-ARIA Windows screen reader
shootout" [1] from July 2009 mentioned the
following AT with some WAI-ARIA support:
* NVDA (snapshot build that was similar to the 0.6p3 release)
* JAWS 10.0.1154 (current version is JAWS 12)
* Window-Eyes 7.1 (current version is Window-Eyes 7.5.1)
* SuperNova 11.02 (current version is 12.03)
* System Access To Go
If "3 versions back" requires 3 major versions
(as opposed to XX.yy), then we will have to wait a bit longer...
Marco Zehe checked support for landmarks (only
JAWS announced them), aria-required (variable
support), Yahoo Search (which currently uses YUI
and aria-labelledby but I don't know if the code
is still the same as two years ago) and Google Chat.

Some other documents on WAI-ARIA support in AT:
* Léonie Watson: "Screen Readers And WAI-ARIA
Landmark Roles", 10 March 2010 (landmarks in
JAWS, NVDA and Window-Eyes; AT versions not mentioned) [2]
* Steve Faulkner: "JAWS Support for ARIA", 7
October 2010; (aria-labelledy worked; test version was probably JAWS 10) [3].
* Lucica Ibanescu: "How screen readers speak a
page with HTML5 and ARIA", 24 January 2011
(landmarks in JAWS, NVDA and Window-Eyes; AT
versions not mentioned) [4].* Jason Kiss: "HTML5,
ARIA Roles, and Screen Readers in March 2011":
covers JAWS 12, NVDA 2011.1, Window-Eyes 7.5,
SATogo 3.2.197, VoiceOver 3; also checks support for aria-labelledy [5].

There is also support in  VoiceOver (for Mac OS
X) and Orca (for Linux), but I have no test
reports. Some comparisons also test VoiceOver,
but many other AT are not considered: SUE (also
for Linux), the web-based screen reader Web
Anywhere, many other Windows AT such as ZoomText
(by Ai Squared), HAL (by Dolphin), Thunder (by
Claro Software), COBRA (successor of Blindows, by
Baum), let alone products that are targeted at
certain Asian markets (China, Japan, Korea, India, ...).
So stating that "Almost every screen reader
supports WAI ARIA" requires many more "screen reader shootouts"...

[1] Marco Zehe: "The WAI-ARIA Windows screen reader shootout":
   <http://www.marcozehe.de/2009/07/01/the-wai-aria-windows-screen-reader-shootout/>.
[2] Léonie Watson: "Screen Readers And WAI-ARIA
Landmark Roles", 10 March 2010:
   <http://www.nomensa.com/blog/2010/screen-readers-and-aria-landmark-roles/>.
[3] Steve Faulkner: "JAWS Support for ARIA", 7 October 2010:
   <http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2010/10/jaws-support-for-aria/>.
[4] Lucica Ibanescu: "How screen readers speak a
page with HTML5 and ARIA", 24 January 2011:
   <http://cssgallery.info/how-screen-readers-speak-a-page-with-html5-and-aria/>.
[5] Jason Kiss: "HTML5, ARIA Roles, and Screen Readers in March 2011":
   <http://www.accessibleculture.org/research/html5-aria-2011/>.

At 20:20 29-6-2011, David MacDonald wrote:
>I don't think it will be long before aria-labelledby will be implemented
>fairly ubiquitously in all assistive technologies and user agents to the
>extent that <label> is...

I would say you would have to wait at least a
year after WAI-ARIA becomes a W3C Recommendation,
but I mislaid my crystal ball this morning ;-)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe