Re: 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum) - Advisory Technique for UI Controls

Hi Greg,

I agree with your statement that the text is key.  Actually, the issue that
got us thinking about adding an advisory technique was a design presented
to us that had UI controls  with no visible associated text.  The controls
did have alt text assigned in the HTML, but there was no visible text on or
adjacent to the controls on the page.  Further this was a monochrome design
where the UI controls were a shade of grey on a background that was a
slightly darker shade of grey.

I'm wondering if the new advisory technique should stipulate that it is for
cases where visible text is not on or adjacent to the control.  I'd be
interested in suggestions on wording for that.

Otherwise, I've updated the proposed advisory technique by specifying
"large text" per your comments on 3:1.

      Making user interface controls that meet the contrast provisions for
      large text

Marc Johlic
Accessibility Consultant
Human Ability & Accessibility Center, IBM Research

  ( (T/L) 391-5905 | External          For self-help visit us at the IBM Human
  813-356-3081                                  Ability & Accessibility Center
  * johlic@us.ibm.com                   Follow us on ibm.com/able | Facebook |
                                                                       Twitter