RE: F68 forbids WAI ARIA to replace label element

David,

>That's a good point Sailesh
>The HTML spec says each label element has exactly one corresponding >field...... so in those cases, F68 may be OK, but I don't think F68 >allows for the freedom that we find in the WAI ARIA language of "wherever >possible", because F68 applies to all field elements.
Sailesh: F68 applies only where UI has a visible text label and association is not made or made incorrectly.
F68 does not apply to all situations... meaning all form controls on a page.
>There may be times when a standard label element must be used to describe >more than one field... I think this is a situation where it is perhaps it >is a good choice, and where the label element doesn't work too well. >Currently this would fail under F68, no?
Sailesh: Use of title attribute is allowed as per techniques when no visible label is present or  in a situation like a form within data table. Title attribute or off-screen label can be used  to relate col and row header with  form controls to aid non-visuall  / AT users. This is well supported by browsers and AT. ARIA not necessary here.
Also HTML allows more than one label to be associated with a form control. But user agents do not support this  reliably though this has been in the specs for years. So aria-labelledby / aria-describedby can be relied upon in these situations. Using ARIA here is a hack for user agents' limitations.
Again, ARIA is meant to be used for dynamic content using scripting and custom elements- not on standard form controls. (No scripting is required to code standard HTML form controls). One uses ARIA as a hack to counter limitations of user agents but thatis not what ARIA is designed for.
And that is the real problem: when user agents do not support or do not support a feature uniformly the user suffers. One may come out with elegant specs but one is at mercy of user agents. Already we see some ARIA features are better supported in FF and not in IE or not at all.
Another example: The title attribute may be used on most HTML elements as per specs but is not uniformly supported by user agents.
Sailesh Panchang
www.deque.com

David MacDonald
www.eramp.com