RE: Audio Descriptions for Talking Heads

PS, perhaps this should be a survey item...

So to summarize this conversation, do you think in the case of a talking
head, I'm in the spirit of WCAG 2, if we added something to the
Understanding that said something like this?

--------

Title: Is Audio Description necessary when one person is speaking against a
static background?

"Audio Descriptions are not necessary when there is one person speaking
against a static background, because there is no timed based visual
information in the video that is 'important' to the understanding of the
content. The general setting is static and therefore can be described in a
static format such as alternative text that is programmatically associated
with the video.

If the video has an opening Title screen (or screens) that contain text,
then this could be Audio Described, or it could be provided as a static text
alternative. If there are significant changes to facial expressions that are
important to the meaning of the information being spoken, that are not
conveyed by the tone of the voice, or other audio cues, Audio Description
could be considered, if there are sufficient pauses in the speech to explain
these.

Audio Description should be used if there is more than one speaker in the
video, or if there is text that appears in the video apart from opening
title pages, and if there are sufficient pauses to explain these, because
this would be 'important' visual changes in information that are time
based."

Cheers

David MacDonald