RE: fyi - discussion in WCAG on -web-content

I totally agree that accessibility should ultimately apply to all electronic
content, but policy makers are looking at where the WCAG applies in its
current state, which is web content. I think we need to get that definition
delineated as a group, in a way that offers help to policy makers understand
as to when the WCAG committee considers an office document web content or
when it is not. If we can't do that, then others will make there own
definitions, in policy and in law, and maybe that's OK, but in that case we
may see a fragmentation of standards...

But I think as a committee, we need to at least be able to say whether we
consider an Excel spreadsheet posted online is web content, and therefore
whether WCAG applies to it or not. There is a lot riding on that simple
position, both in law and in policy.

Which is always a danger when policy and law issues get tangled up with the
simple advice we give to people to make their content more accessible, which
is our heart.

David MacDonald

www.eramp.com