Re: Is MS Excel considered web content?

Hi all

Regardless of which definition is used, Excel (at least 2007) is a User Agent as it allows the import of data directly from a URL wherein you can then specify the table you wish to import, or indeed the whole page. This can be saved as a persistent link so the resulting document always updates with the latest page information. Use of templates by persistent URL us also supported.

Going back the other way, one can save an Excel workbook (including multiple sheets) as a HTML page (source code is interesting if you have the opportunity to try it) or via "Excel services" for Sharepoint which turns Excel documents into a content type akin to Flash and/or Silverlight in that it becomes embedded content that appears to require no plugin for the client. The page then pulls the latest data from the excel document online.

Just thought it bore mentioning within the scope of the discussion.

Regardless if if you deem the format to be web content or alternative content, it in no way changes how accessible any given spreadsheet is. A single cell of straight text is obviously more accessible than one with a lot of images, interactive form fields and drop down boxes etc.

David - btw - there are no ST's for RTF either, and it could be argued the RTF is more prevalent (and thus more needed in terms of ST's) than Excel. Both are proprietary formats - should the onus be on Microsoft to produce STs if they wish to claim conformance? (If it isn't I may start making some for RTF!)

Cheers

Chris Beer (iPhone)