From: James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Subject: Study on Web accessibility in European Countries
To: "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date: Friday, May 28, 2010, 6:22 PM

A report
is available from the European Commission's Information Society
which aims to measure how well a selection of EU Web Sites meet both
WCAG1 and WCAG2.

Reading this report I am concerned that very specific technical
criteria are required to be met in order to meet each of the
guidelines. Certain of these criteria, in my view, are far more
restrictive than required by WCAG2.
These criteria are detailed in Annex
1 .

Some of the specific criteria where I believe this is overly
restrictive are:

  1.1.1 Non-Text Content

    Decorative content not rendered using background images is a
failure

  1.3.1 Info and Relationships

    Layout tables are prohibited - and table which doesn't
represent data is a failure

  2.4.1 Bypass Blocks

    Skip Navigation links are the only way specified that a page
can meet this guideline

  4.1.1 Parsing

    Specifies that significant validation errors be avoided without
specifying what significant means.

Would the working group consider responding to this report and
clarifying how WCAG 2.0 is intended to be used.

Thanks,

James

James Nurthen | Project Lead, Accessibility

Phone: +1 6505066781 | Mobile: +1 4159871918

Oracle Corporate Architecture

500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that
help protect the environment