Re: 4.1.1 question, not clearly documented

On Feb 24, 2009, at 4:03 AM, Alan Chuter wrote:

> Looking afresh at the presentation of the Techniques I have to agree
> that it's not readily apparent that failing them [techniques] is not
> a failure of the corresponding SCs.

Hmmmmm

we have these instructions at the TOP of the Understanding doc  (See
below)
and at the top of the How To Meet doc

but it looks like those don't get seen.....

Do we need something repeated for each SC  (we don't like to do that..
but....)

HOW TO MEET INTRO INCLUDES ==========================

About the Techniques
Note that all techniques are informative - you don't have to follow
them. The "sufficient techniques" listed below are considered
sufficient to meet the success criteria; however, it is not necessary
to use these particular techniques. Anyone can submit new techniques
at any time. If techniques are used other than those listed by the
Working Group, then some other method for establishing the technique's
ability to meet the success criteria would be needed.

UNDERSTANDING INTRO INCLUDES =========================

Sufficient and Advisory Techniques

Rather than having technology specific techniques in WCAG 2.0, the
guidelines and Success Criteria themselves have been written in a
technology neutral fashion. In order to provide guidance and examples
for meeting the guidelines using specific technologies (for example
HTML) the working group has identified sufficient techniques for each
Success Criterion that are sufficient to meet that Success Criterion.
The list of sufficient techniques is maintained in the "Understanding
WCAG 2.0" (and mirrored in How to Meet WCAG 2.0). In this way it is
possible to update the list as new techniques are discovered, and as
Web Technologies and Assistive Technologies progress.

Note that all techniques are informative. The "sufficient techniques"
are considered sufficient by the WCAG Working Group to meet the
success criteria. However, it is not necessary to use these particular
techniques. If techniques are used other than those listed by the
Working Group, then some other method for establishing the technique's
ability to meet the Success Criteria would be needed

Most Success Criteria have multiple sufficient techniques listed. Any
of the listed sufficient techniques can be used to meet the Success
Criterion. There may be other techniques which are not documented by
the working group that could also meet the Success Criterion. As new
sufficient techniques are identified they will be added to the listing.

In addition to the sufficient techniques, there are a number of
advisory techniques that can enhance accessibility, but did not
qualify as sufficient techniques because they are not sufficient to
meet the full requirements of the Success Criteria, they are not
testable, and/or because they are good and effective techniques in
some circumstances but not effective or helpful in others. These are
listed as advisory techniques and are right below the sufficient
techniques. Authors are encouraged to use these techniques wherever
appropriate to increase accessibility of their Web pages.