Re: 4.1.1 question, not clearly documented

Cynthia,

Validating the code  through a validator is the test for 4.1.1. This is with regard to the  DTD. This will ensure it is "according to their specifications". How a browser or AT handles  this is of no concern.
I think the SC and  hints for testing are sufficiently clear.
Regards,
Sailesh Panchang
www.deque.com
Tel 571-344-1765 (C)