RE: Using HTML form controls and links (Success Criterion 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value))

Hi Christophe,

many thanks for your quick answer!

> None of the techniques is normative. Developers are always allowed to
> use other techniques that meet the success criteria.

Can you point me to the location where exactly this statement is given
by W3C?

> If you create your own user interface components, you end up at
> situation D in "Understanding SC 4.1.2"
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/ensure-compat-rsv.html>,
> which has one general technique:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G10>.

I understand that

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G10

will contain references to ARIA also as soon the W3C has decided on
this.
Therefore this reference could serve as acknowledgement if procedures
described there have been followed
and requirements listed are met by the test environment, right?

Regards
Stefan

At 10:16 2/06/2009, Schnabel, Stefan wrote:
>Hi Rich, Michael,
>
>is
>
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H91>http://www.w3
.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H91

>absolutely NORMATIVE regarding
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#ensure-compat-rsv>Succe
ss
>Criterion 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value)?

None of the techniques is normative. Developers are always allowed to
use other techniques that meet the success criteria.

>For instance, do I violate WCAG 2.0 when I decide NOT to use a
><select> statement for a combo in my application,
>and choose instead an input with an associated button and ARIA-Markup?
>
><strong>
>  With other words, is applied ARIA an 1:1 alternative to

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H91>http://www.w3.
org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H91?
></strong>

The above technique is just an HTML technique; it does not assume
WAI-ARIA.
If you don't use a select element but something else combined with
WAI-ARIA markup, that construct can only pass WCAG 2.0 if it can be
shown that it is accessibility supported
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#accessibility-supported
def>)
in the human language of the content. If that condition is not
fulfilled, the construct can never meet SC 4.1.2.
The note to SC 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value) says: "This success
criterion is primarily for Web authors who develop or script their
own user interface components. For example, standard HTML controls
already meet this success criterion when used according to
specification."
If you create your own user interface components, you end up at
situation D in "Understanding SC 4.1.2"
<http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/ensure-compat-rsv.html>,
which has one general technique:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G10>.