Re: bug in Web Page definition

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 11:52:56PM -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> That is correct Jason.
>

> An HTML page that is not on the Web is not a Web Page.

My argument is that it should be defined as one according to the guidelines,
because the only difference between it and a resource satisfying the
definition in this proposal is that the latter is served by HTTP and the
former is not. This is a trivial difference, and nothing of importance -
certainly not the applicability of WCAG 2.0 - should depend upon it.

> This is not to say that you cannot use the same guidelines for that page
> that are used for Web pages if you choose.   You could also use many of them
> for HTML Help files and other HTML or Flash or PDF or other non-Web
> documents that use similar technologies to those used on the Web.
>
> Sometimes all of the WCAG guidelines can be used.  Other-times only some of
> them.

In the case under discussion, they can all be used, which is why the
HTTP/non-HTTP distinction is not the right one to introduce into the
definition.