RE: Instant icon comprehension

Bruce,

Thanks for the description. But I would treat it as a longdesc rather
than an alt attribute: the alt should serve the same purpose/convey the
same information as the icon (to warn people about something...), while
the longdesc provides the description.

I think HTML Technique * H2: Combining adjacent image and text links for
the same resource might be adapted to create a new sufficient technique
called something like Using icons or other visual symbols combined with
text to identify the purpose of a link.  (As I recall, the WWAAC made a
recommendation like this in their comments on the November 2004 (?)
draft.)

http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20070220/Overview.html#H
2

John