RE: Why use SCOPE instead of TH

Hi Bruce, Johannes,

At 15:17 31/01/2007, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>Johannes points out:
><!-- TH is for headers, TD for data, but for cells acting as both use TD -->
>
> From URL:
><http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6>http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6
>
>While I am a little chagrined that it took me eight or nine years to
>become aware of this particular detail, I am actually quite grateful
>for that little nugget!  But I have to ask, how authoritative is
>it?  Is a comment within sample code actually meant to be normative?

You're right about the authoritativness of comments in DTDs:
"Comments appearing in the HTML 4 DTD have no normative value; they
are informative only." (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/conform.html#h-4.2).
However, the sections "11.4.2 Categorizing cells"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#multi-dimension) and
"11.4.1 Associating header information with data cells"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#header-data) are
also about scope and table header cells. My understanding is that
when you use the SCOPE attribute on a TD element, you indicate that
you want this to be a header cell.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group