RE: Consistency review assignments

Finally got round to looking at 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 and found a few minor issues:

2.1.1 -

G90: Providing keyboard-controllable event handlers
The objective of this technique is to permit individuals who rely on a keyboard or keyboard interface to access the functionality of the content. To do this, make sure that all of the events used in scripts or other interactive controls on the page are associated with a keyboard-based event, or provide redundant keyboard-based mechanisms to accomplish the functionality provided by other device-specific functions.

I don't think this is quite right and also somewhat HTML/JS specific.

Propose:
G90: Providing keyboard-triggered event handlers
The objective of this technique is to permit individuals who rely on a keyboard or keyboard interface to access the functionality of the content. To do this, make sure that all event handlers triggered by non-keyboard UI events are also associated with a keyboard-based event, or provide redundant keyboard-based mechanisms to accomplish the functionality provided by other device-specific functions.

-------------
F10: Failure of SC 2.1.1 and Conformance Criterion 7 due to combining multiple content formats in a way that traps users inside one format type.

Firstly I don't think this is strictly a failure of 2.1.1; so suggest just making it a failure for CC#7.

Also:

"Some plug-ins create a common situation in which the keyboard focus can become "stuck" in inaccessible"
-- remove the word common, as we agreed on the telecom for another instance of this.

Also this failure does not speak to the required description of the method used in the conformance criterion.

--------------

2.1.2

On reading the description for this I became confused.

"This does not mean that analog, time-dependent input (excluded from the requirements of 2.1.1) must be made keyboard accessible. Rather, it means that content that uses analog, time-dependent input cannot conform to this success criterion and therefore cannot meet Guideline 2.1 at Level 3."

Firstly this text needs to be aligned with the new wording for 2.1.1

But secondly,
I'm not sure of the point of this SC at level 3. If content doesn't include the problem content, then level 2 is sufficient. If it does contain the problem content, then 3 can't be met. So 2 needs to be met with the exception. Perhaps someone can explain this one to me.

Sean Hayes
Standards and Policy Team
Corporate Accessibility Group
Microsoft