RE: SC 3.1.1/3.1.2 and sign language

Christophe wrote:

I looked at it once more. The sign language video would already be an
alternative to something else. The solution seems to be to fall back on
SC 4.2.1 (situation B in 'How to Meet SC 4.2.1' [1]).

It's not necessarily true that the sign language video would *always* be
"an alternative to something else." A Deaf author might create a site
whose primary natural language is Sign, and whose primary medium is
video. (See, for example, Guidelines for Signing Books, an EU project
from the late 90s, at
http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/signingbooks/SBRC/Grid/d71/guidein.h
tm.)  If the Sign language used in the video does not have a language
code, I personally think 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 could be satisfied by using a
properly *registered* language code.

In such cases, Sign language interpretation would go from Sign to
speech, which could then be transcribed and published as a partial text
alternative  (I say "partial" because additional description might also
be needed if the video includes other visual content necessary for
understanding the signed content).

I offer this as personal opinion.

John

"Good design is accessible design."