From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Becky Gibson
Sent: 15 November 2006 14:35
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: another try at a proposal for scaling

>Failures could include:
>1.      Using measures which are based on a physical length (for example:
px, in, pt in CSS)
I know it is a controversial subject, but I do have some concerns about
creating a failure which outlaws the use of px.  Even the W3C Tips for
Webmasters [1] doesn't speak against using px (although I will admit that
reference, dated 2003 is rather old).  Also, px are listed as relative
units in the CSS2 specification [2]. Since user agent support for
different font sizing mechanisms seems to vary greatly and change over
time, I'm not sure we should be making a specific recommendation.

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#length-units

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect