RE: Task Approach to conformance.

OK, I'll bite, though I'm not sure how much I can chew.

Gregg writes:
* There will probably be endless arguments about tasks.  What is a task,
what is not a task, whether information presented on a page is a task or
whether
tasks are only things you do.  Is music a task, is a movie a task, etc.
Some of these will be easy to address others might get contentious.

</blockquot>

Yup. I don't see how we can define "information" as a "task." *Locating*
information is a task that the user performs (or is unable to perform,
or decides s/he doesn't care about anymore...). *Presenting* information
is a task that authors and user agents perform. But the information is
not the task.

One of the principles we tried to go by in writing (or re-writing)
success criteria after the March 20005 face to face meeting in Los
Angeles was to make sure that each SC focused on the content and not on
the user, because we wanted to avoid building in implicit ideas about
what users might or might not be capable of. So the SC are written to
describe functional outcomes without talking about the *user's*
"functionality."

The guidelines, on the other hand, are written as "tasks" assigned to
the author-- e.g., Provide text alternatives for all non-text content"
or  "Make all functionality operable via a keyboard interface." So we
could understand the SC under each guideline as providing ways to
determine whether or not the relevant task has been accomplished.  Each
SC in turn implies one or more tasks for authors; these  are described
in the techniques documents.

It seems to me that talking about conformance in terms of tasks would
force  us to either an impossibly high level of abstraction or an
equally impossibly low one.

Having said all that, I'm sure I've missed something...

John

"Good design is accessible design"
John Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute University of Texas at Austin 1 University
station Stop G9600
Austin, TX 78712, USA
Phone +1.512.495.4288 Fax +1.512.495.4524 cell +1.512.784.7533
email jslatin@austin.utexas.edu
www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/