Re: Keyword title-attribute report (was Re: 24 August 2006 Agenda)

On 23/08/06, Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov> wrote:
> All three commenters were in favor of removing the use of title
> attribute values as sufficient to meet SC 2.4.4.
>
> I think that is a little draconian.  I think the use of title on ambiguous
> link text is an excellent example of how the supplemental information
> is valuable to everyone, but of particular utility to users of AT.

Maybe we just need to clarify appropriate use cases. If title text is
provided to clarify the target for link phrases of "Continue reading"
and the like, then it's a good technique as the title attribute is
being used appropriately to provide supplementary information. I think
people's concerns are over title text that provides information that
the user might not have reason to investigate, yet would benefit from
knowing before following the link: like "Opens in a new window",
"Flashing content", or "Will blow up your computer".

Best regards,

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins