RE: Some words about the terms "relative" and "absolute".

Yes, I agree, we should talk about functions rather than units.  The units would live in a technique, or even in multiple techniques that target different user agent functionality.

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Marco Bertoni
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 11:14 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Some words about the terms "relative" and "absolute".

Hi Cynthia, as I've told in my original post there are other CSS units that are scalable (also in IE6/WIN):

1) for fonts: em, percentages and absolute-keywords (e.g. medium, small, x-small etc.)

2) for containers: percentages and em.

But we must think at the future when IE/WIN will be able to make pixels scalable (as all the other browsers already do). So we should talk about functions rather than units and I agree that "scalable" is the right term to use.

Marco