From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Johannes Koch
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 5:07 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Common failures and baseline

Hi Gregg,

Johannes Koch wrote:
> as I understand the "Understanding WCAG 2.0" document, the "sufficient"
> status of a technique depends on the baseline. So for a success
> criterion with one sufficient HTML technique and one sufficient
> scripting technique an author could use the scripting technique to
> meet the SC if both HTML and scripting are in the baseline, whereas he
> has to choose the HTML technique if only HTML is in the baseline.

as you did not comment on this, I assume, my reading is right.

GV: THIS APPEARS CORRECT IF I UNDERSTAND YOU.

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
 > If conformance with a success criterion  depends on it - yes.  It  >
would fail twice.  Once for relying on a technology not in the  > baseline,
and once for triggering the failure. If the content can  > conform without
the technology (and it doesn't interfere) then it  > could still conform.

So the baseline has an influence on the "sufficiency" of a _technique_ to
_pass_ a SC, but it has no influence on the "sufficiency" of a _failure_ to
_fail_ a SC?

GV: NO.  THAT IS NOT WHAT THE SENTENCE ABOVE SAYS. READ THE LAST SENTENCE.

--
Johannes Koch
Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.