RE: Technique Designations

Hi Tim

I'm not sure what additional direction to give other than it must meet the
SC.   The intent section of How to Meet for the SC can help understand the
intent of the SC but only the SC is the criterion.   Not sure what more we
can say.  Any ideas Tim?  Anyone?

RE Listed vs non-listed techniques.
A technique that is listed has the working group behind it. If someone
questions it the author can always use the HTM doc as backup.  If they use
another technique, then the burden of proof is on them should someone ask.
It is not a better or worse technique for meeting the success criterion. It
is just not identified by the working group as a technique that is
sufficient so it doesn't have that face validity.  Like a paper that has not
yet been reviewed and accepted by a journal.  It is no better or worse a
paper, but if it hasn't been accepted by a class A journal it is more of an
unknown.   Listing only adds credibility - not 'goodness'.

Non-listed techniques should be submitted for review so that they can be
listed if they are sufficient.  But here we still have the problem with
proprietary technologies since our current position is to not list them.  I
understand why but it makes it harder on people.  We need to revisit this
during implementation and at least document the rationale.

Thanks Tim.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.