RE: About tests 37-41 (headers) *wkey

Hi Chris.

I think you are missing the way conformance and techniques work.

Your email again uses failure of a technique to imply failure of a success
criterion.    Failure of a technique NEVER implies failure of a success
criterion.  Only failure of the technique.   There may be other techniques
for meeting the Success criterion.

So if something fails a technique - you cannot say anything about
conformance to WCAG 2.0 beyond
- it doesn't conform using this particular technique but it may conform
using another
- if this is the only technique that is listed as sufficient then - you can
say that it doesn't meet the only currently listed sufficient technique for
a success criterion but it might conform another way.

If something is done that is listed as a COMMON FAILURE -- then you can say,
"the working group lists this as a common failure for SC x.y.z of WCAG 2.0".

Now for this specific item, the success criterion does not require validity.
So whether it is valid code or not does not cause failure of the success
criterion.   The reason why it is invalid might -- depending on whether that
reason does violate a success criterion.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center