RE: nbsp ok for decorative alt?

Hi Gez, Andrew, Johannes,

Sorry

First - yes I meant  " "  (I have been typing in the WIKI too long)

Second - let me rephrase the question better.

Our technique currently says

ALT="" is preferred
ALT=" " is acceptable but not preferred
ALT=" "  is not.

Michael said "why is " " not acceptable if " " is acceptable.

I think we were trying to reduce the number of options but allow ALT=" " due
to past and current Web content.  And might be easier to get some GUI tools
to actually put the ALT attribute in.  (having some content causes it to be
added).   (and I think we may even have told people to use ALT=" " at some
point.)

So the question is

Should we also allow  " " ?

Gez - were you saying 'yes'?
Johannes, Andrew, John,   I logged your answers as being 'no'.

Do we want to continue to allow " " to make it easy to force tools to put
the ALT in without people having to know how to hand doctor their code?
(Hopefully - all tools will have a means for forcing a null ALT="" someday.)

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center