RE: multimedia definition

Gregg responded to my proposed rewrite of the multimedia definition:

Actually the interactivity as a medium came from Wikipedia.

I thought that was interesting because it is necessary as a media for
our definition as well.

Interactive audio for example is considered multimedia.   And it
consists of audio and interaction.

I'd be fine with listing "interactive audio" and "interactive video" as
separate media.

It makes me nervous to treat Wikopedia as an authoritative source,
precisely because it advertises itself as "the encyclopedia that can be
edited by anyone."

The Wikopedia definition of "multimedia" links to an article on
"interactivity" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactivity) which is
flagged as needing work. What's there now does not describe
interactivity as a medium.

So here's a modified version of the rewrite I proposed:
<newProposal>
Several different media, including at least one time based media type,
integrated in a single presentation.  Media may include text, audio
(including interactive audio), graphics, and video (including
interactive video).

</newProposal>

I deleted the third sentence from my previous proposal since
interactivity is now incorporated into the list of media types.

I also deleted animation from the list of multimedia types since our
definition of "video" (accepted 8 December) includes animation. But it
wouldn't bother me to include it explicitly here if people want to do
that.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, fax 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
Web  <http://www.ital.utexas.edu/>
http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility

Actually the interactivity as a medium came from Wikipedia.

I thought that was interesting because it is necessary as a media for
our definition as well.

Interactive audio for example is considered multimedia.   And it
consists of audio and interaction.

This would have to be captioned since there would be no other way for a
deaf person to know "when" they had to do something if it was just a
transcript.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.