Re: concerns with SC 3.2.1

On 06/12/05, Becky Gibson <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com> wrote:
> I have some concerns with Level 1 Success Criterion 3.2.1 [1]  with regard
> to the DHTML Accessibility roadmap.  I have implemented a tab panel where
> the user can arrow from tab panel to tab panel.  When the new panel tab
> receives focus, the contents of that panel are updated.

I think it is a violation of 3.2 SC 1 as it's currently written, but
agree that it shouldn't be. Although the intent section of the "how to
meet" document doesn't explicitly mention your scenario, it does state
that the list isn't exhaustive.

I'm also not sure about the argument that the user initiated the
change of context. There could easily be scenarios where a user
initiated a change of context, but weren't aware that their actions
would do so. I think the guideline itself needs to be updated to cater
for your scenario. Something like:

"When any component receives focus, it does not cause a change of
context, except where the change of context could be considered the
expected behaviour of a GUI widget".

The example you've given could be used in the "how to meet" document
to clarify the clause. Problems that the rewording might cause with
device independence would be caught by guideline 2.1.

Best regards,

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins