Re: Is validity the real issue?

Hello Ineke,

You wrote:

> Look the same page in Amaya and you have to notice that pieces of text are
> lacking. Just because of the 17 errors. I don't even see any image of this
> page in this browser.
> The code has even <font> tags! So screenreaders may have problems with it.

I think the problem is not whether the errors in The New York Times
web pages cause problems with screen readers or not. The problem is
that it does not exist a way, simple and unequivocal, to divide code
errors without any importance for accessibility (for example a "&nbsp"
at the end of a page) from code errors with effects on accessibility.
Since the first are very common and user agents are able to
automatically correct many of them, the risk arises that developers
will consider a requirement for valid code only a heavy and useless
burden. There is a need for unambiguous solutions: it seems to me very
important that web developers are obliged to apply only guidelines
which utility and necessity are immediately clear and understandable.

Greetings,
Michele

--

M i c h e l e    D i o d a t i