RE: [techs] Alt Text Tests 192 and 195

Chirs wrote:
OK. Test 192 "don't label your submit buttons as 'submit'" is out.

Just to be clear - the Alt text for images used as form submit buttons
is
*not* covered under the guidelines. Guideline 1.1, L1, SC1 [1] does not
apply to form submit button images. Correct?

I assume Gregg's argument against this test is that according to the
HTML 4.01 spec alt is optional for the input element.  But the URI
attribute still specifies non-text contnet, which is covered under 1.1
and the definition of non-text content that Wendy proposed.

So... Maybe there's a way around this: *if* an input of type image
*does* have an alt attribute, then the contents of that attribute have
to satisfy 1.1.  If the input does *not* have an alt attribute, then the
value attribute must serve identify the purpose of the input.  "Submit"
would be acceptable, though it would be nice (i.e., best practice) to be
more descriptive.  Maybe Chris' wording would work-- something about
identifying the purpose of the *form* as I recall?

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
web http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/

> But is there anything in the guidelines that covers the text used in
> form submit buttons?

Gregg replied:
> Nope I don't think there is.
> So I don't think we can have a test of it.

OK. Test 192 "don't label your submit buttons as 'submit'" is out.

Just to be clear - the Alt text for images used as form submit buttons
is
*not* covered under the guidelines. Guideline 1.1, L1, SC1 [1] does not
apply to form submit button images. Correct?

Chris

[1] For all non-text content that is functional, such as graphical links
or buttons, text alternatives identify the purpose or function of the
non-text content.