Re: [1.2] Captions and audio descriptions at level 1?

This is my first posting to the list. I agree with Yvette that Level 1
criteria need to be be practical for all websites, not just for big companies.

I think this issue parallels description of still photographs. Shouldn't
websites provide detailed descriptions of all photographic images? Perhaps
it would be better to focus on the functionality of the content, the
message it conveys.

I'm concerned that this criterion implies that a website, when capturing
reality, has to make accessible what was previously not accessible. For
example, if a blind person goes to a football match and can't see it,
that's acceptable (at least we have to live with it); but if the same
person sees it on a website, it has be described. The web can be a tool
for adding accessibility information, but should it be mandatory? Content
that is created specially for the web, like a diagram, is different to
captured reality, like video of a live event. For the 1945 film that
Yvette mentions, for example, the web could be a useful and cheap way to
make the content accessible, but the original film isn't. If it was
projected in a cinema it wouldn't be described, I think.

I think this is not at all testable. Their are so many different
intepretations of how to describe a sequence, of what's important and what
isn't. It's debatable for single media content, but for multimedia it
would be impossible to get two evaluators to agree.

I hope this is some help.

Alan Chuter
achuter@teleservicios.es
Accessibility Consultant