RE: ALT and TITLE Clarification

Chris Ridpath wrote:

The question we need to answer is "Does this Alt text comply with the
guidelines?"

The 2 tests we use to determine that are:

1) Alt text must identify the purpose or function of the image.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test15.html

2) Alt text must contain any text in the image unless the text is
decorative or redundant.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test11.html
Just a reminder that we need to re-word the test so that it's a
true/false proposition-- replace "must be" with "a declarative, e.g.,
"must identify" becomes "identifies" and "must contain" becomes
"contains."

John

Our example, the WAI compliance logo at http://atrc.utoronto.ca has the
following Alt text: "Level Triple-A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0"

It  includes all the text in the image so it passes test 2.

One purpose of the logo is to show that the page passes the WCAG1. I
think the Alt text covers that by saying "conformance icon".

Because the icon is used as a link, the other purpose is to link to a
page that explains what the conformance means. The Alt text doesn't
really cover that and would fail test 1 above, therefore failing
guideline 1.1 SC 1.

> I don't want to get into an argument
> about good alt text, but...

I'd like to avoid that too but we need to be clear. People can't follow
the guidelines if they don't know what they mean.

What do others think - Is the Alt text for that icon OK?

Cheers,
Chris