  From: Michael Cooper
  To: WAI GL (E-mail)
  Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:47 PM
  Subject: [#1311] Should we permit multiple labels for one form control?

  In a discussion with Jim Thatcher and Andrew Kirkpatrick the issue of
multiple labels (explicit labels using LABEL "for") for one form control
came up. It is possible to provide more than one LABEL element for a control
by using the same id value in the "for" attribute more than once. The HTML
4.01 specification [1] says "More than one LABEL may be associated with the
same control by creating multiple references via the for attribute."
However, XForms 1.0 [2] appears to only intend a single label per form
control.

  My initial response was that it is unspecified which label should be read.
Andrew in a quick test said "JAWS and WindowsEyes treat the label
differently, JAWS reads the first and WindowsEyes reads the latter." Jim
says _both_ should be read. As a starting proposal I suggest we should
permit multiple form labels, but I think this requires further discussion.

  [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL
  [2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xforms-20031014/slice8.html#ui-commonelems-label

  --- Signature ---

  Michael Cooper
  Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
  1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
  Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
  Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
  Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
  Web: http://www.watchfire.com/