  From: John M Slatin
  To: jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
  Cc: Chris Ridpath ; Neil Soiffer ; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
  Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 7:10 PM
  Subject: RE: XML in HTML

  Jason White wrote:
  If we were writing an XHTML tutorial this would be an excellent idea,
  but instead, we're writing techniques for WCAG 2.0, the purpose of which
  is not to give general XHTML advice but instead to explain how the
  success criteria can be met with this technology.

  In writing techniques for SVG and other formats it could be useful to
  provide examples in which the content is included in an XHTML document.
  With SVG for instance, the image can be included directly instead of
  using an IMG or OBJECT element, and the point would be to show how the
  DESC element and other features of SVG make this more accessible, even
  though there is no "alt attribute" involved.
  </blockqutoe>
  I think this would be an excellent solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

  (My goal was not to provide a tutorial on XHTML and SVG, etc., but to
  ensure that we provide enough information to enable people to create Web
  resources that meet our criteria.  If people perceive that there are
  barriers to doing so-- for example, a felt need to visit many other
  documents in order to gain a piece of essential information-- they will
  be less likely to think of WCAG 2.0 as a resource and more likely to
  think of it as a set of arbitrary hoops to jump through.)

  John