Working on large issues (was Re: FW: December 16, 2004 - Agenda ===================================)

Gregg Vanderheiden writes:

 > This week is an organization and planning meeting for the new year.  Looking
 > forward to your input on this.

Keeping large issues firmly in mind, the most important work item
likely to affect the structure and content of the document is the
UAAG/WCAG guidelines review, separating out the "repair strategies"
from the core guidelines by taking account of UAAG 1.0.

I would volunteer to help with this if I weren't presently occupied
with so many other commitments. The importance of working on this
cannot be overstated.

The second large issue in need of resolution is the perceived mismatch
between the levels assigned to certain success criteria in the
guidelines, and the relative importance which some of the
corresponding techniques are believed to have. It has been suggested
by those working on techniques that some techniques corresponding to, for
example, level 1 guidelines don't merit level 1 treatment, but without
making the success criteria more technology-specific there doesn't
appear to be any straightforward solution other than to accept the resulting
level assignments and their consequences. I think there needs to be a
sstained effort to identify these issues and to propose solutions.

Are there any other large issues that I've missed? An issue qualifies
as large if it is (1) not specific to any single
principle/guideline/success criterion, i.e., it has an impact across
the guidelines or in the conformance scheme; and (2) it is difficult
to solve or liable to engender controversy. These criteria aren't
exhaustive.