	From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org
[mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John M Slatin
	Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 11:32 pm
	To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
	Subject: [.4] Proposed rewording for guideline and success
criteria

	The proposal below was prompted in part by my work on General
Techniques for 2.4 and in part by the issue summary prepared by Yvette
several weeks ago. I'll send a separate message listing many of those
issues and how I think this proposal addresses them (or does not yet
address them).

	The current wording for Guideline 2.4 and its success criteria,
as they appear in the 8 October internal working draft, follows the
proposed text.

	<proposed>

	Guideline 2.4. Make it as easy as possible for users to find the
content they need and to identify their location within content.

	Guideline 2.4 L1
	List of 1 items
	1. No Level 1 success criteria for this guideline.
	list end

	Guideline 2.4 L2
	List of 5 items
	1. Content has explicit structure.
	2. Long documents that are presented as a single perceivable
unit include a Table of Contents with links to important sections of the
document. Editor's
	note:It is possible that this criterion can be satisfied through
reference to UAAG 1.0, checkpoints 9.9 Allow structured navigation
(Priority 2) and 10.4
	Provide outline view (Priority 2).
	3. There is more than one way to locate content, including but
not limited to link groups, a site map, site search or other navigation
mechanism.
	4. Blocks of repeated material, such as navigation menus with 8
or more links, are marked up so that they can be bypassed by people who
use assistive technology
	or who navigate via keyboard or keyboard interface. [V]

	Editor's note:General Techniques might include something about
metadata, future role attribute, etc., to support this.
	5. Complex images can be viewed in detail.
	list end

	Guideline 2.4 L3
	List of 6 items
	1. When content is organized in a sequence, that sequence can be
determined programmatically.

	Editor's note:This still needs work. The problem is how to
specify that it applies to content that is intended to appear as a
sequence without requiring
	a test for intention.
	2. The tab order follows relationships and sequences in the
content.
	3. Images have structure that users can access.
	4. Perceivable units have descriptive titles
	5. Text is divided into paragraphs.
	6. Documents are divided into hierarchical sections and
subsections with descriptive titles.
	list end
	</proposed> <current> Guideline 2.4 Facilitate the ability of
users to orient themselves and move within the content. [level 2
guideline] Level 1 Success
	Criteria for Guideline 2.4 List of 1 items 1. No level 1 success
criteria for this guideline. list end Level 2 Success Criteria for
Guideline 2.4 List
	of 2 items (contains 1 nested list) 1. In documents greater than
50,000 words or sites larger than 50 perceived pages, at least one of
the following is
	provided. [V] Editorial Note: What's a perceived page? What if
it's a voice XML application? How does it apply to Web applications? Why
50 and 50,000?
	List of 3 items nesting level 1 A. hierarchical structure, B.
table of contents (for pages) or site map (for sites), C. alternate
display order (for pages)
	or alternate site navigation mechanisms (for sites). list end
nesting level 1 2. Large blocks of material that are repeated on
multiple pages, such as
	navigation menus with more than 8 or more links, can be bypassed
by people who use screen readers or who navigate via keyboard or
keyboard interface. [V]
	list end Level 3 Success Criteria for Guideline 2.4 List of 5
items (contains 1 nested list) 1. Information is provided that would
indicate at least one
	logical sequence in which to read a document. [I] 2. Diagrams
are constructed so that they have structure that users can access. [I]
3. Logical tab order
	has been created. [I] Editorial Note: "logical tab order" may
not be testable. 4. Each page or other resource that can be accessed
separately and that
	supports a title has a title that identifies the subject or
purpose of the resource. [I] Editorial Note: We need to define "accessed
separately" to clarify
	that what is being titled is a piece of content in its entirety
vs. individual elements or portions of the content. 5. There is a
statement associated
	with the content asserting that items from the following list
were considered: [V] List of 3 items nesting level 1 A. Breaking up text
into logical paragraphs,
	B. Dividing documents, especially very long ones, into
hierarchical sections and subsections with clear and informative titles,
C. Revealing important
	non-hierarchical relationships, such as cross-references so that
the relationships are represented unambiguously in the markup or data
model. Editorial
	Note: Are there any others? list end nesting level 1 list end
</current>

	"Good design is accessible design."

	Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
	Accessibility Institute