Re: Form and label element association

From: "Jens Meiert"
> > [...] remember that placeholder text can be a useful format
> > entry help: i.e., dd-mm-yyyy, or so.
>
> I disagree, since some users might have difficulties using it (if you pass
> on e.g. JavaScript, the user is forced to remove all place holders), and
even
> JavaScript effects might be irritating (what text was there before I
clicked
> it?). It's IMO better to display a sample text near the corresponding
field
> (and use the title attribute, too, which I perceive as a good solution) --
> that's usable as well as accessible.

I'm not against your proposal. A text near the field may be okay, but I
don't know the way non-sighted can use it (where should we put it? I suppose
*just before* the field...). I also think that putting the format help text
in the field is more compact, and the fact that it is *inside* the field
could help. But it's true that some people have trouble using it. Also, the
author should prevent placeholder text from being processed if the user
won't modify it... I suppose this is a little too complicated for simple
sites: the outer field solution it's probably better.

But we need a good way to display format example text, anyway. The
guidelines should advice the better way to display them. Before the field is
ok? There's a proper markup to display them?...

Maurizio Boscarol
http://www.usabile.it
Ecologia dei siti web
http://www.ecologiadeisitiweb.it/
Hops Libri - A book to build a both usable and
accessible site in the real world (only italian)