Re: WCAG1.0 Checkpoint 10.5 - still valid?

On Tuesday, December 9, 2003, at 10:32 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Actually,  we should all (as individuals) be careful about making
> absolute
> pronouncements for the group.

It's not an absolute pronouncement for the group -- it's an accurate
statement of the situation.

> "I think" is a good prefix to most statements of belief.

It's not a situation of belief.  The case where "until user agents"
is resolved is NOT defined by the working group or by the specification.

> On this topic I don't think we have made a formal finding as to whether
> "until user agents" clauses can be fulfilled without a formal
> statement from
> W3C.

...which is the same effective result as saying that it's not
superseded yet.

This is another reason that a WCAG 1.0 Second Edition is crucial.
If the Working Group has decided to allow certain "until user
agent" checkpoints to be automatically passed by all users, then
this needs to be communicated.  The current situation, in which
the criteria are undefined, is not useful to Web developers, and
really must be remedied soon.  And it should not wait for WCAG
2.0.

You have well-meaning folks like Dave Shea who want to do the
right thing, but the WCAG 1.0 specification doesn't define the
mechanisms by which "until user agents" clauses should be ignored.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com