RE: Examples of language changes in websites

Hello Yvette,

Interesting article.  Given the, I would say, unusual linguistic dexterity and penchant for English of the Dutch people, I think you have picked a source of examples that presents an uncommon degree of subtlety and pervasiveness - but this is certainly a phenomenon that occurs in all languages to a lesser or greater extent.  It re-raises in my mind a question I've been mulling over for some time.

When tagging language variations in text, where do you draw the line between what is clearly a foreign language phrase, what is a neologism drawn from a foreign source, and what is one of the latter that has become an adopted part of the language?

For (another) example, in English we talk about 'a certain je ne sais quoi'.  I would think that a large proportion of people in the UK would understand this half English half French phrase these days, due to the influence of recent advertising and cooking programs, etc., though I'd say that is a fairly recent phenomenon.  Is it English or French?

I particularly like your example of 'cadeaushoppen' - which is French, English and Dutch all at the same time.

I'm not clear what the answer would be.  Do you have any suggestions?

I suppose one pragmatic approach might be to say that, to support accessibility, anything that's not in the dictionaries of the text to speech processors should be marked up.  But there appear to be a number of problems with that approach in my mind: different dictionaries presumably contain different entries; how does the average content author find out (quickly, while creating content) what words or phrases are likely to be problematic?; this looks at the problem only from the point of view of the text to speech processor; are the dictionaries being kept sufficiently up to date?; there'd presumably be neologisms in the native language that fall into this category too, where to draw the line; etc.

Another approach could be to provide phonetic transcriptions for ambiguous phrases, which could even propose a pronunciation that uses only native phonemes.  I just saw a nice example of this in the SSML spec, where they render 'La vita è bella' as '<phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="&#x2C8;l&#x251;&#x2C8;vi&#x2D0;&#x27E;&#x259; &#x2C8;&#x294;e&#x26A;&#x2C8;b&#x25B;l&#x259;">La vita è bella </phoneme>'  [lɑ ˈviːɾə ˈʔeɪ ˈbɛlə for those of you who can read the IPA in this mail  **]  The phonemic transcription here is American (rather than British) English (uses a flap for t in vita) and not true to the actual Italian pronunciation (long ei for è, lack of lengthening for l in bella).  Unfortunately, XHTML doesn't yet provide the markup for us to do that.  Should it?  That would solve some other problems in my mind, such as how to pronounce "Caius College" (pronounced "keys college") and President Tito (pronounced "sutto"), the president of the Republic of Kiribati (pronounced "kiribass").  Or even how to pronounce acronyms like "CCAT" (sea-cat) or "NATO" (nei-toe).

But now we're getting way ahead of WCAG 2.0...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

RI

** You can convert the NCRs to characters at http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/conversion.htm

Richard Ishida