From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Yvette P. Hoitink
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 9:13 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: HTML techniques - "Terse" substitutes for header labels (no
blocker)

Going over the HTML techniques draft, I came across the technique called
"Terse substitutes for header labels":
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20031020.html#datatabl
es_abbr>

I am not a native speaker of English, but I do read a lot of books and
articles in English (on average 500-1000 pages per week for the last 10
years or so) so I do not think I have a limited vocabulary. However, I had
never heard of the word "terse" before.

When I looked it up using dictionary.com, it said "Brief and to the point;
effectively concise". Wouldn't "brief" be a better word, i.e. "Brief
substitutes for header labels". Or even "short", to use the simplest words
to convey the meaning.

Yvette Hoitink
CEO Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands