From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of John M Slatin
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 1:59 PM
To: Loretta Guarino Reid; Wendy A Chisholm
Cc: Kerstin Goldsmith; w3c-wai-gl
Subject: RE: Automatic submission of forms and screen changes

I think Loretta's right-- this issue sounds like it has to do with
things like onChange events, where the script fires the instant focus
moves to an item in a select list.  (Kirsten, is this right? Or when you
mentioned menus etc., were you thinking of other elements?)

onChange events might come under the checkpoint, however.  They can be
successfully operated from the keyboard provided that (a)the user knows
the keystrokes for opening a pulldown menu (alt+downarrow), and (b) that
the user uses that keystroke *before* trying to arrow down into the list
without opening it first.  (This doesn't work if the list is already
open, for example if it's a 5-line list with only 5 items in it; then it
fires the instant the downarrow is pressed.)

John

John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Technology & Learning
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712