Re: Please review: Updated draft of conformance section for next draft

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos A Velasco" <carlos.velasco@t-online.de>
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Cc: <gv@trace.wisc.edu>; "'Wendy A Chisholm'" <wendy@w3.org>;
<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: Please review: Updated draft of conformance section for next
draft

Dear Roberto,

It is not a matter of recipes, but a matter of legal language (in which
I am not by far an expert) and facilitating implementation. As someone
said, we are not the United States of Europe, and that is also a
problem. What you are saying is that is OK to have 15 (25 now)
Section-508s (one implementing Core, another Core+2, another Core+4,
etc.). IMHO that is something we have to avoid, as it is a real problem
for Authoring Tool developers, E&R tools, etc.

Roberto:
Yes, we are not the United States of Europe but the European Commission give
directives to all the member states: if the EU will make a directive more
strong that the eEurope Project, the country that don't conform to these
guidelines - as for all the other directives - receive some recall (they
must, for ex. pay some money, etc.).
If with the develop of WCAG 2.0 we create a full checklist divide in "Core"
and "Extended", and the "Core" section is all "checkable", the W3C with the
support of other organization and initiatives (like euroaccessibility.org)
can involve the EU Commission to make a directive about this.

This is not only an european problems: the standards must be receipted by
the local states "as is" otherwise there will be problems for Authoring Tool
developers, E&R tools and for the users that visit the other countries web
sites.