Re: Please review: Updated draft of conformance section for next draft

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 12:06  AM, Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG
wrote:
> I agree with Gregg.
> The problem now in Europe is that in some countries (like Italy) some
> part
> of the government wanna create normative "section 508-like" and not
> the full
> receipt of the WCAG.

Then _they_ should specify a conformance profile, and they should
specify _which_ checkpoints over and above Core. No self-respecting
organization is going to issue a content requirement that allows people
to select items "a la carte" to implement. If they're going to make
laws out of WCAG, they should select and require items in the extended
set when they do it.

Core will be the most important set. From there, I think the focus
should be on telling potential adopters (governmental and
institutional) to start with nothing less than Core, and add
requirements from there. Core+ does not help.

As far as 508 goes, I think we'd do well to create a Core+508 profile
as an informative example. We could show that adopting our requirements
and processes will allow authors and ER tools to state authoritatively,
"this is 508", while still adopting the principles of good design that
WCAG contains (and 508 leaves out).

-